Fabulous Day Trip #1Chuckanut Drive hugs the coast connecting historic Fairhaven in South Bellingham to fertile dairy farms in the Skagit Flats.
Chuckanut Drive to Fairhaven
Driving time:1-1½ hours R/T
Fairhaven is the northern terminus of the commanding drive hugging the Chuckanut Mountains. The village is a unique waterfront community with many of the original red brick buildings from the late 19th century still remaining.
- Thrilling views of Puget Sound, the kneeling Olympic and coast ranges beyond.
- Enjoy the numerous viewpoints on the drive, tour Taylor United Samish Bay Shellfish Farm, visit Larrabee State Park, Washington's oldest marine park.
- Maps of the park and hiking rails are available at the ranger station.
- The southern terminus of the Alaska State Ferry is the pride of Fairhaven.
- The creative architecture and spectacular views of Bellingham Bay and the Canadian Coastal Mountains are worth a visit.
- Browsing, shopping, and eating; bicycling or strolling the Interurban Trail; or enjoying the Historical Walking Tour through the village, makes a full day's venture.
At the beginning of your trip north on Chuckanut Drive you will notice several fine restaurants located near the foothills of Chuckanut Mountain. Make reservations for dinner on your return drive to Samish Point by the Bay. Breathtaking views, fresh seafood, award-winning wine cellars, await to create an exquisite dining experience.
«back to Day Trips