Fabulous Day Trip #2
San Juan Islands
Driving time:1 hour R/T
The Washington State Ferry (1-800-84-FERRY) departs from Anacortes between six and nine times every day of the year. The ferry ride through the remote, breathtakingly beautiful islands will be the highlight of your journey. You are more likely to spot whales from San Juan Island than any other area in the islands. It's an hour and half ferry ride that allows for walk-ons and you will find you will not need a vehicle.Friday Harbor rises from the ferry landing and public marina making it an easy stroll to the docks, shopping, restaurants, and the world famous Whale Museum. The tourist transit, which circles the island every hour will drop you at the highlights:
Orcas, the largest island, requires a car to properly enjoy the sights.
- British Camp National Historic Park
- Lime Kiln Pt. Whale Watching Park, and
- Beautiful Roche Harbor Resort and Marina.
- The quaint town of Eastbound is an 11 mile journey from the ferry landing. You'll be delighted to find a variety of shops and restaurants that overlook a spectacular bay.
- Tour around the island to charming Deer Harbor, funky Doe Bay, and stroll the beautiful Rosario Resort and Marina.
- The highlight of your Orcas Island Tour will be Mount Constitution, the centerpiece of Moran State Park and hightest land mass on the islands at 2,400 feet. From the stone tower at the summit you will see, Mount Rainer and Mount Baker, and everything between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.
There is a good selection of restaurants scattered around Orcas Island from expensive resort dining rooms to quaint gourmet cafés in Eastbound. Enjoy a sumptuous dinner before your evening cruise on the returning ferry to Anacortes and Samish Point by the Bay.
«back to Day Trips