Fabulous Day Trip #3
North Cascades National Park & Seattle City Light Tour
Driving time:4 hours R/T
For most guests this is by far the highlight of their holiday. The weather must be clear and sunny as seeing the mountains in views along this drive is what makes this trip so worthwhile.
As you drive east from Sedro-Woolley into the breathtaking beauty of the North Cascades, you will be stunned by the spectacular, scenic beauty of every turn along your roadtrip.
- Make reservations ahead to join the Seattle City Light Tour Cruise to Ross Dam, ph. 1-206-684-3030. The Seattle City Light Tour includes an all-you-can-eat family style meal or enjoy one of the eateries in quaint Marblemount on your sunset drive back to Samish Point by the Bay.
- In the morning, if you have time before the Seattle City Light Tour, stop in at the North Cascades National Park Headquarters just south of Newhalem. Enjoy the 20 minute slide show and interpretative exhibits housed in a building of extraordinary northwest architecture. Then continue on to the Seattle City Light Tour, which will take you deeper into the rugged, majestic North Cascades than accessible by automobile.
- Another option is to continue east from Newhalem as the Cascade Loop climbs in elevation into the "American Alps." Plan to go as far as "Liberty Bell," as this round trip is as much as you can do in one day. At Rainy Pass are delightful trails to Rainy Lake or Lake Ann, with the latter most spectacular. At Lake Ann you will see awesome views, waterfalls, wildlife, wildflowers, and a blue-green lake surrounded by glaciers. Walking time is approximately 2 hours on moderate inclines.
On your return trip, be sure to stop in historic Newhalem.
- Not to be missed are Ladder Creek Falls (it is lovely at night as well), the beautiful Rock Gardens and Trail of Cedars.
- Visit the Gorge Powerhouse Visitors Gallery with its fine interpretative exhibits and the Diablo Museum.
«back to Day Trips