Fabulous Day Trip #5
Driving south from Samish Island the road skims across the Skagit Flats and meanders up Bay View Ridge, hugging the shoreline southward to Padilla Bay Interpretative Center.
Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve & La Conner
Driving time: 1 hour R/T
From Padilla Bay travel south to the Gardens at LaConner Flats.
- The center is housed in a building that exemplifies fine northwest architecture.
- Enjoy interesting and informative slideshows, the interpretative museum, which features the native flora, fauna, and wildlife of Washington's shorelines, or call ahead to join one of the many scheduled workshops and activities.
- The friendly staff can also answer your questions and hand out maps about exploring the many trails and beaches of the estuary.
LaConner is last, but not at all least, on your journey through the renown Skagit Flats.
- Laid out in the tradition of the finest English Gardens, you will stroll through cultivated garden rooms of timeless elegance and beauty.
- For more garden strolling visit Roozengaarde Display Garden with windmill and fresh flowers from the field shipped anywhere in the U.S., and
- award-winning, Christianson's Nursery and Display Garden featuring the Valley's oldest schoolhouse.
- Known as Washington's "Best Tiny Town," LaConner has become a mecca for interesting shops, art galleries, waterfront festivals and activities, and fine eateries.
- Tour the beautifully restored historic Gaches Mansion, the Museum of Northwest Art, and the fascinating Skagit County Historical Museum.
- Enjoy a sumptuous dinner in one of LaConner's restaurants followed by a sunset drive along Padilla Bay on your return to Samish Point by the Bay.
«back to Day Trips